Portugal has fewer than 100 reported cases of COVID-10 as of March 10, 2020. VisaVis also wants employers to know that:
- Body temperature screenings are in effect at the airport for flights originating from highly impacted areas.
- Mandatory quarantines are in effect for all people who had contact with an infected person.
- Institutional closures are in effect for some schools, churches, and plants/offices where infections, or suspected infections occurred.
- There are public lines of credit available for companies impacted by COVID-19.
Health and disability insurance, and sick leave
- Care for COVID-19 is free at public health institutions.
- With very few exceptions, local insurers do not cover medical expenses related to epidemic or pandemic diseases.
- Local insurers cover death and disability for cases like COVID-19.
- Sick leaves due to COVID-19 pay in full both for public and private companies. This is a special measure for the current situation.
Advice to employers
- Employers should pay special attention to staff who travel more frequently. Because this group is most at risk, employers should make sure employees have adequate coverage wherever they travel.
Portuguese authorities have recommended that those in Portugal who have recently traveled to an affected area (including Northern Italy, China, South Korea, Singapore, Japan, or Iran), and are experiencing symptoms, should contact the Portuguese COVID-19 Health Hotlines.
(press 9 for English)
– Mainland Portugal and Madeira – (+ 351) 808 24 24 24
– Azores – (+351) 808 24 60 24
Portuguese Director General of Health (DGS) COVID -19 information
(for English click on the Globe on the upper side of the page)
This coronavirus update for employers in Portugal is one of a series dedicated to helping global workforce managers navigate the evolving challenges brought on by COVID-19. Expect regular articles such as this from the Asinta Partnership as the global impact of the coronavirus unfolds.